Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Occupy.

I've heard it on the radio, seen it on television, read about it online.

Occupy DC.  Occupy Wall Street.  Occupy Atlanta.

This "occupying" stuff ain't new to me.  I witnessed it in fifth grade at Gordon Grammar School.

The seventh- and eighth-graders decided to stage a protest march.  Against Math.

Did you know I scored 1260 on my SAT?  It had four English sections and one Math section.  Thank God.

Math has never been my strong suit.  But, like that great humanitarian Jethro Bodine, I can do my times tables.

Ought times ought is ought.  Ought times one is ought.  Ought times two is ought.

I could go on like this for hours.  But I digress.

The "upperclassmen" made signs and walked out of class.  They marched around the buildings, they occupied the sidewalks and the playground.

Looking back, I'm surprised they didn't do what a lot of protestors back then did--go home and burn their houses down.

Eventually they put their signs down, returned to class, and finished Math.  And all the other subjects.

Signs and tents and marching don't make a protest.  The same corporations "those people" (the great General Robert E. Lee's term of affection for the Yankee hoard) are railing against paid for the parks, the benches, and the lights they're using to stage their protests by.

I understand that soon they're going to march on some rich folks' houses in New York City.  I say have at it.  I bet those folks know their numbers.

Like 911.

No comments: