Friday, November 4, 2011

Velma Coppage.

Mama always said if you're going to say something nice about somebody, say it while they're here.

My mother-in-law, Velma Floyce Milton Coppage, is here.  But she's not.  She's one of the sweetest, humblest women I've ever known.  I can name on one hand (with fingers left over) all the people I've known whom I've never heard say anything bad about anybody.  Velma is one of them.  Her qualities live in the woman I love, so I get to see her every day.

Velma has Alzheimer's and is in an assisted living facility in Vero Beach, Florida.  The Queen, Princess, and I last saw her earlier this year when one of the Princes got married.  She was so happy to see us...but I think she was happy anytime she saw anyone.  She kept saying "I'm so glad y'all came to see me".  It hurt in a sweet way.

My Queen lives nine hours and a world away from her Mama.  Mine's ten minutes away.  It's rough on her, not being able to see or talk to her Mama.  I talk to my Mama every day.  It's not fair, or right.

It's hard to find a good woman, and you can't find Mamas like mine and Jennie's.

My heart breaks when I think of Velma.  The other side of that is that she's happy.  By default.

I heard a while back that Glen Campbell had Alzheimer's and was embarking on his self-confessed "last tour".  He wanted to play one more time while he still could, and he has his children playing with him.

This song is called "Ghost On The Canvas"...my favorite lyrics are

We dream in color, others they color their dreams
It takes one to know one...the spirit always knows what it sees


If the Spirit knows what it sees, I'm not worried about Mama, or Velma.  God watches over them, and that's good enough for me.

  video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

No comments: