Saturday, May 15, 2010

The System Is...The System

The system is broken the system.

I was watching the news this morning and apparently all infierno is breaking out at Kennesaw State University, in Atlanta, and throughout the Intraweb over a student there.  A young lady.  A...how shall I say this?  Illegal Undocumented Alien.

Now, I don't pretend to have all the answers to the immigration problem;  that's why we have morons folks in Washington.  But I do have some questions.

From what I can gather, here's how this whole fracaso unfolded.

--the student in question was brought here by her parents when she was ten years old.  The parents were...extranjeros.  Which made her one, too.

--she graduated from a Georgia high school, then enrolled at KSU.  In Georgia, when you enroll at a State university, you're either supposed to be a U. S. citizen, a non-resident alien here legally, or a permanent resident here legally.  We in this Great State use the time-proven "honor system" and assume the applicant is telling the truth about their resident status, because no proof of citizenship is required.  Ever.

--so...she's been here eleven years, graduated from one school and enrolled at another, and by all appearances a bright and honorable young person.  Except for that one nagging issue, which, if I was her, would cause me to constantly look over my shoulder for the INS.

--a few days ago, this student gets pulled over for a traffic violation, whereupon Cobb County deputies check to see if she's here legally, which under United States law they are allowed to do (see the State of Arizona for clarification).  She's not.

That, my friends, is when the problemas began.

Let's recap:  a person (and her family) here illegally without documentation attends a taxpayer-funded elementary school, a taxpayer-funded high school, and a taxpayer-funded university, without any teacher/administrator at any time, at any level, ever asking for any type of citizenship/immigration papers.  Then she commits a traffic violation, without a driver's license of any kind, and subsequently is found to be here illegally.
 
What?  How?  Why?  What?  My head hurts.

And then, after breaking the immigration laws, taking advantage of the taxpayers of Georgia, driving without a license, she becomes...a hero.

I saw a bumper sticker not long ago which said, "If government is the answer, then you must have asked a really stupid question."

The Atlanta newspaper loves her.  One of the editors said we need more people like her (to which I say, look around).  Television stations adore her.  On one station this morning, she said, and I quote liberally and not verbatim, "I hope my situation brings about needed changes in the law." 

So do I, senorita. So do I.

No comments: